Ukrainian man arrested for 2022 Nord Stream pipeline sabotage

Ukrainian man arrested for 2022 Nord Stream pipeline sabotage


View taken from a Danish F-16 interceptor of the Nord Stream 2 gas leak just south of Dueodde, Denmark, on September 27, 2022. The leak was one of three on the Nord Stream gas pipelines in the Baltic Sea. File Photo courtesy of Danish Defense | License Photo

Aug. 19 (UPI) — A Ukrainian man was arrested in Croatia on Wednesday in relation to the 2022 bombing of the Nord Stream gas pipelines, a key export channel for Russia’s natural gas.

Three of four pipelines that run through the Baltic Sea from Russia to Germany exploded in September 2022, months after Russia launched its invasion of Ukraine. German prosecutors alleged a trained scuba diver was involved in the explosions and sought to have him extradited to Germany.

Prosecutors said the man was part of a group that was separately prosecuted for planting explosives on the Nord Stream 1 and 2 pipelines.

Nord Stream 2 was not in operation at the time of the incident.

“The accused participated in the necessary dives,” the prosecutor’s office said.

Prosecutors identified the suspect as Vladimir Z.

Ukrainian military officer Serhiy Kuznetsov was arrested in Italy last year for his alleged role in destroying the pipelines. He has been extradited to Germany and was awaiting trial. He was accused of leading a team that planted explosives near the Danish island Bornholm.

Ukrainian officials denied playing a role in the explosions.

The construction and use of the Nord Stream pipelines has been a contentious issue in relations between Germany and Poland, which has opposed the pipelines. Polish officials argued that a Ukrainian attack on the pipeline could be considered justified in response to Russia’s invasion.

Ukrainian demonstrators rally in Kyiv on February 12, 2022 to show unity amid U.S. warnings of an imminent Russian invasion. Photo by Oleksandr Khomenko/UPI | License Photo



Source link

Leave a Reply