Breaking News, World News, US News, Sports
Aug. 19 (UPI) — The Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority on Wednesday approved a $15.5 billion budget for Dulles International Airport, setting the stage for renovations proposed by President Donald Trump.
The board approved the proposal for the Revitalizing Washington Dulles International Airport Project, an initiative launched by the Department of Transportation in December.
The approval includes $3.75 billion for new underground tunnels which will replace the airport’s shuttle system, the renovation of Concourses C and D, and $6.2 million for the reconstruction of the main terminal.
The project is slated to begin in late 2027.
Trump said during a briefing at the White House last month that more than 5 million square feet will be either new or renovated space at the airport. He called the airport in its current state “a terrible place to be.”
The president said in July that the estimated cost of the project is more than $20 billion.
About $14.2 billion of the funding will come from new bond issuances, $200 million from grants and $1.1 billion in Pblockenger Facility Charges: fees that travelers pay for using the airport.
New expenditures included in the budget amount to about $48 million, MWAA’s report says.
Breaking News, World News, US News, Sports
Source link

