Aug. 18 (UPI) — Two students, including the suspected shooter, are dead following a shooting Tuesday at a junior high school in the southern Philippines, officials said, marking the second school shooting in the Southeast Asian country in as many months.
The shooting occurred at the private Ateneo de Zamboanga University Junior High School, located on the campus of Ateneo de Zamboanga University, which confirmed the two deaths in a statement.
It said it was “saddened” by the shooting on its campus and was praying “for the quick resolution of the situation and for the safety of all.”
“The safety of our students is our priority,” the university, located in Zamboanga City, said.
“We have already coordinated with parents and guardians to pick up their children and the university has ensured the safety of those remaining on campus.”
Philippine National Police Chief Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. confirmed in a statement that officers responded to the shooting at the school and said “the situation is now under control.”
“Police personnel immediately coordinated with school authorities and other concerned agencies to ensure the safety and orderly movement of students, faculty and school personnel,” he said.
“Authorities are currently establishing the cirblockstances surrounding the incident.”
Police told local media that the shooting occurred at around 7:50 a.m. local time, and that the scene was being processed.
Interior Secretary Jonvic Remulla later confirmed the suspected shooter was a grade 9 student and had livestreamed the shooting online, the Philippine News Agency reported. Police also identified the victims as a grade 10 student at the school.
Remulla noted in a phone interview with reporters that an investigation was underway to understand the motive and how the student was able to bring a gun inside school premises.
President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. said he has directed law enforcement agencies to conduct a “thorough investigation” to determine what can be done to prevent further tragedies.
“We will work with our schools and communities to strengthen thee safeguards that protect our students and ensure that they can pursue their education without fear,” he said in a statement distributed by his office.
The university suspended all cl***es on Tuesday and Wednesday in response to the shooting.
“We ask everyone to remain calm, avoid sharing unverified information or sensitive images and respect the privacy of those affected,” university president Ernald Andal said in a statement.
While school shootings are rare in the Philippines, the incident comes after two students allegedly shot and killed three others in a shooting at a Tacloban City high school on June 22. Seven others were injured. Both suspects were arrested.
The shooting also comes after eight people were killed earlier this month in a school shooting in Thailand. The suspect, who died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, was accused of shooting 30 people.
If you or someone you know is struggling with suicidal thoughts, help is available 24/7. Call or text the 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline for free, confidential support. Globally, the International Association for Suicide Prevention has contact information for crisis centers around the world.

